Frequently Asked Questions about Autism Therapy
Here are some returning questions that we have that you might find interesting
Is the therapy covered by the government?
yes we are covered by the Ontario program and some privet insurance
Is there a difference between development therapy and behavioural therapy?
Yes there is a difference while both methods are valid methods, Development therapy deals with behavioural and development of a child by looking at the development blocks that are missing we did not look at the chart age as the starting point we look where is right now anyways supposed to be
Do you provide help with explaining to schools my child diagnostic?
Yes, we provide workshops for schools and parents to teach them about the diagnostic of the child and how the child looks at the world
Do you provide only home therapy?
At this point of time we only provide homebase therapy and in schools
QUESTIONS TO ASK Yourself before we start
This worksheet may be used as a template to communicate with families of students with autism spectrum disorders. It should not be viewed as an endpoint in itself. It is meant to begin the discussion of classroom issues and challenges between educators and families.
- What are your child’s areas of strength? ____________________
- Whattypesofthingsworkbestforyourchildintermsofrewardsandmotivation? ____________________________________________________
- Doesyourchildhaveanybalance,coordination,orphysicalchallengesthatimpede his or her ability to participate in gym class? please describe:
Spoken language Written language
Sign language Communication device
Combination of the above (please describe): ______________ ____________________________________________________
- Doesyourchilduseecholalia(repeatingwordswithoutregardformeaning)? Never Sometimes Frequently
- Dochangesinroutineortransitionstonewactivitiesaffectyourchild’sbehavior? Never Sometimes Frequently
If yes, what types of classroom accommodations can I make to help your child adapt to change and transitions? __________________________
If yes, what type of sensitivity does the student have?
Visual Auditory Smells Touch Taste
What kinds of adaptations have helped with these sensitivities in the past? ____________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________
- WhatbehaviorsrelatedtoautismspectrumdisorderamImostlikelytoseeat school?
Are there triggers for these behaviors?
Sensory sensitivity Change in schedule or routine
Social attention Escape a boring task
In your experience, what are the best ways to cope with these challenges and get
your child back on task? _________________________________
- Is there anything else you think I should know about your child? __ ____________________________________________________
- What is the best approach for us to use in communication with one another about your child’s progress and challenges?
Telephone calls – Phone numbers: ______________________ E-mails – Addresses: _________________________________
Have you found the answer you’re looking for in the Frequently Asked Questions about Autism section? If don’t, please contact us with your question.