Hurricanes and heavy rains can indeed bring flooding. Another cause would be plumbing issues. Problematic plumbing might mean blocked drain pipes and overflowing toilets. Whether in detached homes or multi-story buildings, flooding can occur.
Filthy water can increase the transmission of water-borne diseases. These diseases are from contaminated human and animal wastes and can get into the body in several ways.
Diseases From the Water
Contaminants transported by water can leak through anything porous, such as building products like wood or concrete, or may penetrate the soil. These can further affect the water system and vegetation.
Ingestion and Contact
Flood waters can bring bacteria and viruses from animal or human feces and can come into contact with drinking water or food supply. Direct contact with flood waters can likewise cause these to penetrate the skin through scratches or open injuries. Flood cleanup is important to fight against the most common illnesses like the following.
- Typhoid Fever – This can be deadly if not treated. The signs are stomach pain, constipation, diarrhea, continuous fever, nausea, and headaches.
- Cholera – Watery diarrhea is the major symptom of cholera and may cause dehydration and could likewise be fatal.
- Hepatitis A – It is an extremely contagious liver disease that can cause loss of appetite, diarrhea, nausea, dark-colored urine, and jaundice. In some cases, this can cause the liver function to stop.
- Leptospirosis – This is caused by bacteria from animals, especially rodents. Infected urine can blend with water or soil and can enter the human body through the skin, genitals, nose, or mouth. Symptoms resemble hepatitis A, but more serious infections can cause kidney failure, meningitis, and other severe complications.
Mosquito-Borne Viral Infections
Mosquitoes need water to reproduce, and whatever water remains from floods is the ideal place for eggs to be laid. Mosquito bites can transfer viruses to humans. Such are:
- Malaria – This manifests with flu-like symptoms and body aches. Severe cases can trigger seizures, coma, and death.
- Dengue Fever – High fever, eye pain, and rashes are the first symptoms of this viral infection. If not treated early, this might cause internal hemorrhaging and can be fatal.
If water damage or any moisture remains after flooding, mold is unavoidable. These come from airborne spores and will prosper on any surface. Exposure to toxic mold can cause moderate to severe medical problems. Individuals who have allergies and those who are immuno-compromised are easy candidates.
Some moderate symptoms may be the following:
- runny nose and congestion
- eye irritation
- skin rashes
Molds can produce mycotoxins– toxic substances that can enter the brain. If this occurs, it will cause memory loss, metabolism issues, and cause brain inflammation.
What to Do in Case of Flooding
Standing water and water damage needs to be dealt with to prevent illness. Why not click on this link to know more.
Use Protective Clothes
After an instance of flooding, do not go into the compromised location without protective clothes such as rubber boots, gloves, and so on.
Stay Away From the Danger
If possible, do not attempt to clean up. If there is extreme damage due to flooding, some locations might be too weak to walk or stand on. Mosquitoes may be present, or accidents may harm you, making you susceptible to illness.
Call in an Expert Remediation Company
The best possible way to resolve the water damage issue is to call the experts. They have the right devices, and they move fast and completely.
Eliminating the Water Damage
Remediation experts can turn a location inside out and replace any parts of a structure that are no longer of any use. They have devices that can remove any standing water and make use of fans and dryers to remove any remaining moisture.
The remediation companies use appropriate cleaning agents to remove all pollutants, killing bacteria and viruses. While subjected to fans and blowers, they also use HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filters to clear the air. Mold spores are prevented from sticking to surfaces and increasing when cleaning and moisture removal is successful. Check out mold removal companies in Wayne.
Wrapping It Up
Occurrences like flooding need to be taken seriously and managed instantly. To prevent more damage and regrettable health and safety issues, ask remediation specialists to examine the scenario. They will have the ability to give correct advice on what ought to be done, whether cleaning is sufficient or if reconstruction is needed.