Autism is a condition that parents need to recognize at the earliest possible time. Finding a way to handle this situation will need the utmost attention. Children affected by autism also need to start their education at the right time. This is why special needs schools that cater to autism are available. Being able to handle children with autism, development can start as early as possible. Parents with autistic children must be ready to invest in their children’s future. They should know that these special needs schools are meant to make it easier for children. The article will focus on these special needs schools. It will show some important information and the cost it may take to enroll children into one.
Things to Know About Autism
Autism is a disability that affects a person’s way of responding to situations. In any environment, people learn how to behave, socialize, and communicate. The issue with autism is that it hinders these people to do these things. Below are some of the important things you should know about autism:
- Each autistic child is unique. Autism can make children very intelligent in the early stages of their lives. Others may have gifts in other areas like art or music. Each child has unique strengths or weaknesses. There is a need to find certain ways of working to handle the special traits of each child.
- Children with autism usually have their own special interests. Educators, trainers, or coaches must identify these interests to gain an advantage. Special interests are great motivational tools for autistic children. These would help in coming up with an effective rewards system.
- Tantrums and meltdowns are usually associated with children that have autism. This may branch out from the fact that their behavioral routines are not followed. Autistic children become anxious and angry very quickly. These can happen whenever something hinders him from accomplishing his routine. Teachers must first understand each of the routines autistic children follow. Doing so will enable the teachers to support the children with their routines.
- Autistic children showcase stimming that is visible to their peers. Stimming is a behavior that is self-stimulated. This causes a person to do repetitive movements or sounds. Everyone stims once in a while. But for autistic children, it is very clear. This is because any emotion can trigger stimming. With heightened emotions, autistic children cannot control their feelings and may stim uncontrollably.
- Autistic children find it difficult to perform tasks. Autistic children experience difficulty in understanding verbal instructions or deciphering social cues. These make autistic children feel awkward in social gatherings. There is a need for the teachers to write directions in a simple manner.
- If children with autism lack the needed social skills, this might mean that they will not be able to control themselves. They may hurl out hurtful words. These need to be fixed to ensure the children will be able to coexist with other people in any environment.
What are Autism Schools?
There are many solutions developed to help children develop even with autism. One of these is the availability of schools that accept autistic children. This type of school is important because it considers the state autistic children are in. Being ready with special tools or signs, the people working in these schools know how to control the children who are having tantrums. The following information details things that make autism schools different from the regular ones:
- Toronto-based autism schools focus on their special education services. The government requires schools to create an Individual Education Plan (IEP) for autistic children. The law also requires the school to develop and maintain the IEP of each student. An IEP is important because it will outline the expectations of a child’s education. The IEP also includes the solutions to address the expectations. It must also contain how the transition to a higher level of education would be done. Doing these will help teach the children the level of learning needed for their age.
- The teachers and staff are already trained to handle autistic children. They are ready for any possible action autistic children may suddenly make. These teachers are highly-skilled in what they do. This is due to the fact that they are teaching regular subjects while handling the behavior of autistic children.
- The student to teacher ratio is different from regular schools. In regular schools, a teacher may handle a class with at least 15 students. In autism schools, a classroom may have a maximum of 10 students. This will make sure that each autistic child will get the required attention needed. Teachers can give their instructions together with the special condition for each child.
- The curriculum in autism schools is personalized to fit a child’s interests. It will also consider the child’s capacity to learn. This is a huge difference from regular schools. Any special resources needed to help the student learn are available.
- Regular schools are not ready to handle any sudden outbursts from autistic children. Disruptive actions will give students disciplinary actions. This will not work with autistic children and may worsen the situation. Autism schools have structured plans to prevent these outbursts from happening. If a child still fell into tantrums, the teacher already has a plan ready to defuse the situation. All actions are carefully created to fit each child’s needs.
- There is a development of an effective speech therapy plan in autism schools. Most, if not all autistic students need help with their speech. Their inability to communicate is usually the cause of many outbursts and tantrums. Usually in regular schools, there is no dedicated person helping autistic students with their speech. Socialization can be harder for autistic children in these schools. But with autism schools, most of the time, there are pathologists hired. The pathologists are usually experts of speech and language. They will observe students and coordinate the results to the parents and teachers. This is how the speech therapy plan is created. Also, the pathologists are experts in communicating with autistic children. They will assist the students who are having difficulty during social, leisure, and academic activities.
- As the students get older, they will reach a point that they would be going to college. They would need to prepare themselves to handle the new pressures coming at them. Regular schools may offer preparatory courses and training classes. These might not fit autistic students as these courses do not consider their learning and social difficulties. This is different with autism schools. The training and coaching given by these schools cater to how well a child understands. Same with the curriculum, the preparatory materials are also customized. Autism schools ensure that the students would be able to handle any social pressures that may come their way.
Cost of Enrolling Your Child in a Toronto-Based Autism School
Autism schools usually cost more than regular schools. This is because of the specialized teaching methods used. Also, to cater to the needs of an autistic student, there is a need to give more focus to the individual. This would mean that each classroom will need a lesser number of students. This is also another reason for the higher cost asked by autism schools. The presence of specialized pathologists also adds to this cost. But the importance of these pathologists cannot be compared with any monetary value. Enrolling your child in a Toronto-based school that focuses on autism may cost you between CAD 17,000 and CAD 70,000 per year. For schools that support autism, these may cost you between CAD 8,000 and CAD 65,000 per year.
Enrolling your Child in an Autism School is an Investment in the Child’s Future
Your child gains many benefits when studying in a school focused on those with special needs. Regular schools do not have the adequate resources to handle children with autism. The extra care needed for these children is crucial at the start of their educational stages. The development of these children will happen over time.
Schools that cater to special needs are able to offer these resources and guidance. The qualifications of all the staff include being able to handle autistic children. This will ensure parents that their children will always be the priority. Parents are assured that the school will do its best to develop the child’s needed skills to survive. Schools that focus on autism and other special needs create a development plan. Children affected with autism will be able to learn and enjoy at the same time. Handling their tantrums and random outbursts is systematic in these schools.
There are processes that the teachers and staff follow to defuse such situations. These are not always available in regular schools, which may cause disturbances. Socialization is another thing that autism schools are experts in handling. Having group camps and cooking sessions will help the child coordinate with other people. This develops camaraderie which will give a positive feeling to the students. The establishment of goals and achieving them is an important lesson taught during these sessions.
If you are looking for a school that will help your child, you can contact The House of Child Development. We are one of the well-known specialists in helping children with special needs grow. You can call us at 6475288659. We will do our best to give your children the best future they can achieve.